This is my attempt at putting the Book of Psalms into my own words. I am not striving for an improved translation or interpretation. This is not The Message by Dave. This is words that mean to me what I am reading. I try not to change wording for the sake of changing, but rather to write down words that I feel the Bible is speaking to me. I hope that you might find some value to this; if so please let me know.

It is my goal to post each Monday. Doing the math, this will take a few years. Stick around and let's see where it goes.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Psalm 16

A miktam of David.

[It is interesting to note that after three-odd millennia, it is still unknown exactly what "miktam" means. The general conclusion is that it is some sort of musical term, but that's about it. I guess the real message is that this Psalm, like most others, is meant for chanting or singing. -DRW]

1 Keep me safe, my God, for in You I find my only refuge.

2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord, The Lord; apart from you there is nothing good.” 3 I say to the believing and behaving Christians across the earth, “You are the ones in whom I take joy.” 4 To those people looking to other gods, I fear for your suffering. I will not lend any credence to those gods, nor will I even mention their names.

5 LORD, You are the only source of my food, drink, and my very sustenance; You make my life livable. 6 Most of my life, good things have almost fallen in my lap; my delightful life will continue with Your help.
7
Praise the LORD, whose guidance I seek; in waking or sleep He touches my heart with instructions. 8 I will keep my heart in tune with the LORD. With His support nearby, I can stay on my life's path.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and I raise my voice in song; my body remains at peace,10 because You have rescued me from Hell, and You will not let me fall into decay.

11 Continue to make obvious my path of life; I look forward to the joy of being with You, to spend eternity in Your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment