This is my attempt at putting the Book of Psalms into my own words. I am not striving for an improved translation or interpretation. This is not The Message by Dave. This is words that mean to me what I am reading. I try not to change wording for the sake of changing, but rather to write down words that I feel the Bible is speaking to me. I hope that you might find some value to this; if so please let me know.

It is my goal to post each Monday. Doing the math, this will take a few years. Stick around and let's see where it goes.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Psalm 2

This extends the need for belief to the nations and leaders of the earth. I emphasized that these are our leaders, and at least in a democracy, we are partly responsible for their behavior as leaders. Psalm 2 assures us that we will share in the payment for their mistakes.

For reference: Psalm 2 (NIV)

1All the peoples of the earth conspire against the LORD. 2The people and our leaders stand together against the LORD, and also against the Blessed One, Jesus. 3"We can break away from the LORD," our leaders say, "Everyone, cast away the bindings placed on us by the LORD." 4Jesus smiles ate this, and the LORD ridicules us. 5The LORD is outraged at us, and scolds us. We become afraid saying this:
6"My leader is a good leader. He is holy."
7What I need to do is to will renew my faith in the LORD. When I am sincere in this renewal, the LORD will say to me "you are my Son again, and I am your Father again. 8If you ask it of me, I will give you the whole earth, every last corner. All the peoples of the world will become yours. 9 You will be their leader. You will rule them cruelly, and shatter all people as you bring them under your control."

10So, all you people and all the leaders of those people, think about what you are doing! The LORD has told you the consequences of maintaining this evil path. 11Be very concerned with your service to the LORD. Sing and be glad, but also remain wary. 12Do not forget to honor Jesus, or he will get mad, and things will be even worse for you. Jesus can become enraged in a moment, so keep your faith, and show Jesus the honor and respect He is due. Keep Him in your heart, and all will be well.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you worded the second half of verse 3! Why do we see God's guidance and leadership and commands as unfair bindings? The issue seems to be do we really trust God...if not, then God seems a big mean bully or at least irrelevant. If we do trust, the God seems really wise! Either way, the Psalms affirm God is God anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >> Either way the Psalms affirm God is God

    Exactly!

    This is a blog I read regularly by Jim Martin, as pastor in Texas. This particular posting is what inspired me to undertake this journey:
    http://godhungry.org/?p=3407

    ReplyDelete