This is my attempt at putting the Book of Psalms into my own words. I am not striving for an improved translation or interpretation. This is not The Message by Dave. This is words that mean to me what I am reading. I try not to change wording for the sake of changing, but rather to write down words that I feel the Bible is speaking to me. I hope that you might find some value to this; if so please let me know.

It is my goal to post each Monday. Doing the math, this will take a few years. Stick around and let's see where it goes.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Psalm 4

The NIV intro to this one says:
"For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A psalm of David."
So, David, and stringed instruments. This one is tailor made.

1I will call out for relief from this life, God. I wish it could always be easy. Please hear me. Please be merciful, and don't give me what I deserve. You know I usually ask for things You know I don't need or deserve.

2The people out there try to turn me from You. If I really turned away from You I could not live with the shame. How long people? How long will you avoid God, and find other ways for your shallow and temporary fulfillment? Listen to Him! 3The LORD can make you one of His godly people. Those not only of this world, who exist for Him. I hope to be among those godly ones, so when I call out to God He will hear me.

4Even when things are not going your way, you should not stoop to sinning. As you lie at night, use this quiet time to look into your heart. Listen to what you hear!

5Being godly will sometimes feel like a great sacrifice. Have faith in the LORD that these sacrifices are worth it. They are.

6People need to see someone good, someone godly. They sometimes need more evidence for Your goodness. that's OK - please help me to be one that shines Your light upon them. Let them see the light in me. 7 When I am successful at this, Your light fills me with great joy LORD! A greater joy than I have ever imagined. No earthly satisfaction compares. 8 Your joy allows me to sleep in peace, knowing that You LORD will be with me, and cover me with Your safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment